Monday, May 12, 2008

Fine Eats and Great Treats

This weekend my parents were in town from Wisconsin. My Dad was at a healthcare conference in San Antonio during the week with Mom as his guest. After the conference ended on Friday my parents drove over in a rental and met me at my office where I got to introduce them to all my co-workers and bosses.

Afterwards, we met my Aunt and Uncle for dinner at The Grove. The restaurant is located in Houston's new Discovery Green Park project across from the George R. Brown Convention Center. My uncle was the Project Manager on the project, so we got to hear all the details of how it was constructed. Very cool. A lot of work and detail has gone into this project. Because of my uncle's relationships with the people at the park, our meal was comped. Had we been regular guests at the restaurant, I would have gladly paid for every penny of what the meal cost, especially the ginger ice cream. Save your nickels and dimes. It is a little pricey, but very well done. I will say though, use the restroom before you get to the restaurant because the bathroom decor is hideous. The colors consist of "Log Cabin Brown" paint and "Tourquoise" glazed tiles and a plaster, deer mount over the sinks - at least in the men's.

On Saturday afternoon I had some friends come over to meet my parents and enjoy a sit-down meal of steaks, chicken, potatoes, snap beans, and a home-made cake.

On Sunday, Mother's Day, we ate at Gravitas located on Taft Street, 2 blocks south of Allen Parkway. We had a 3-course meal. We partook in their signature bread and dipping spices. Bottomless Mamosas. What I had...First Course: Lemon oil tomato soup chilled. Second Course: Fennel-crusted salmon with roasted fennel underneath, snow peas and potato pasta. Final Course: Lemon pistacio icecream and bread pudding.

This weekend was awesome! Made my Mom cry happy tears...twice. Saw family, extended family and friends. Ate very, very well.

Summit Tubing Trip: T-minus - 30 days

No comments: