Thursday, May 08, 2008

Gun Control

The inaugural post:



Just about every night I'm conscious of charging my phone. The charger is next to night stand, therefore my phone is very accessible to me. If a family member or friend were ever to call me in the middle of the night I would be able to answer their call in a relatively short amount of time - once I stopped "hitting the snooze" on the phone.



One night I had decided to not plug in the phone after a conversation with a good friend. When finished talking, I remembered tossing the phone towards my wallet, which is on the floor next to my shoes. Soon after doing this, I fall into a deep sleep.



Come 3:50am I'm suddenly woken by the need to use the restroom. I roll out of bed all but half-conscious, and am suddently startled. I see this light flash under my bedroom door. What was that? My immediate reaction was to protect myself against the danger.



Fight of Flight: I fight.



I think to myself, self "Your hunting knife is across the room". "Your pocket knife is on the bookshelf". "Hatchet, don't bother". Ahh, "Your shotgun (in it's locked case) is two steps away in the closet. Get it. Protect thyself." This is all within a 0.2 second time frame. Smart guy...



Until I realize that it is my phone that i tossed on ground reminding me that it's still works by flashing it's little green light. Relief and embarrassment have never been this close to each other than in this moment.



I believe in gun control. I have a gun, and I will control you, crook, if you come in my house and surprise me.



My phone since 'the incident' has made it strategically each night to my night stand.



(*Disclaimer: Hotel del Altoid is a very safe place to stay if you ever need a place to crash. ...my friends are never going to want to come over again)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's fantastic. :) hooray for blogging!! i'm a fairly short-timer here, but i'll say welcome anyway!

Troy said...

"Relief and embarrassment have never been this close to each other than in this moment."

Given the fact that this story takes place near the restroom, what exactly do you mean by "relief?"